[Air-L] query: topics that don't get talked about (enough) in academia?

Christopher Richter crichter at hollins.edu
Wed Nov 10 18:28:10 PST 2010

Nancy,

I concur with Ted on pedagogy-- more emphasis on teaching.  All the rest of graduate school is about being  a researcher, teaching gets short shrift.  On a related note I would observe that most of your students, even from Berkeley, will end up at small to medium sized institutions where both the benefits and stresses can be a bit different from those at the large research institutions like Berkeley where most of us are trained.  So if you want to offer something of benefit to the majority, as opposed to just your superstars, additional topics that don't (usually) get talked about (enough) with graduate students who want to go on to careers in academia include balancing teaching, research and service, especially in an age of diminishing returns and increasingly scarce resources in academia (e.g. over-identifying with your undergraduates and taking on lots of teaching and advising challenges won't help you earn tenure, but concentrating on research at the expense of your undergraduates' education and an additional burden on colleagues who have to pick up the slack will not earn you friends, loyal colleagues, or scholarships named after you in 30 years); dealing not just with colleagues who are bullies, but with administrators who may be bullies or maybe just don't speak the same language as academics; and, related to both, and to the sentiment sometimes attributed to that s.o.b. Henry Kissinger that "academic politics are particularly vicious because the stakes are so low,"  developing a thick skin.  Sounds bleak, perhaps, but reflects a reality that I have found junior colleagues are often unprepared for.

Christopher J. Richter
Associate Professor
Communication Studies
Hollins University