[Air-L] Fwd: most popular passwords (Sari)

Seda Guerses sguerses at esat.kuleuven.be
Tue Nov 9 04:04:06 PST 2010

this is a belated answer to the password discussion and what counts as
a secure password.

there was a recent paper at ccs on why entropy based metrics (or for
that matter most other universal metrics) do not provide formulas for
secure passwords, since the attacker models cannot be foreseen. the
authors state in their conclusion:

Our experiments categorically show that the notion of password
entropy, as put forward in the NIST SP800-63 document, does not
provide a valid metric for measuring the security provided by
password creation policies. This is not to cast dispersions at the
rest of the SP800-63 document which is otherwise of the highest
quality. Furthermore, we validated the findings in [7], using
empirical evidence, that there is no way to convert the notion of
Shannon entropy into the guessing entropy of password creation
policies.

the author has since written some further blog posts discussing the
results:
http://reusablesec.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-paper-on-password-security-metrics.html

nevertheless, knowing the most popular passwords is probably in itself
important feedback to any "root", if not non-root users,
cheers,
s.

Message: 2