[Air-L] query: topics that don't get talked about (enough) in academia?

Seda Guerses sguerses at esat.kuleuven.be
Fri Nov 12 05:44:35 PST 2010

i wish we talked more about the inclusion of intercultural skills and
working with people who speak the dominant instutional language as a
second-language. although most universities today are happy to have
international students (or scholars) i find that often the
introduction to the institution gets pushed to international students
offices and to language courses. in reality, working in an environment
where people come from diverse backgrounds requires certain skills
that most of the time international students/scholars have to learn
themselves. this learning is then usually in the form of assimilation
to institutional cutlure rather than one of mutual learning and
expansion. if all colleagues were more aware of what it means to come
from a different language, communication, academic and cultural
background, as well as the bureaurcracy and challenges that entails,
e.g., visas, financial challenges, dietary issues, collaboration
methods, and learned ways to use those differences to enrich the
academic environment, we could enjoy the fruits of international
scholar communities even more than we do today.  (i hear that some of
these problems are also common to academics of working class
background, so maybe that would also be something to discuss).
best,
s.

Message: 1