[Air-L] query: topics that don't get talked about (enough) in academia?

Ted Coopman ted.coopman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 13:49:03 PST 2010

Nancy,

Considering a vast majority of Ph.D.s will wind up in teaching vs.
research positions (as much as everyone pretends otherwise) , I would
go with the mechanics of instructional design.

• how to create/meet learning objectives
• using ICTs to manage workload
• how to create assessment (assignments, quizzes, etc).
• grading
• basic pedagogy - what the research says about what works and what does not.
• time management
• creating systems and policies to manage students and deal with
typical conflicts and complaints.
[<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeSdC7lbAlA&feature=share> - I think
you all will appreciate this]

I have watched many new Ph.D.s walk into a 4/4 teaching load (with no
TA help) get crushed and the main reason is mistaken idea (SOP in most
grad programs) is if you have taken a course in a particular subject
or area you can teach it. Knowing it and teaching it effectively are
not the same thing.

-TED