[Air-L] Call for Tutorials: Fifth International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM-11)

John Breslin john.breslin at nuigalway.ie
Tue Nov 30 03:16:53 PST 2010

== Call for Tutorial Proposals ==

= Tutorials at Fifth International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social
Media =
== July 17-21, 2011 in Barcelona, Spain ==

=== Sponsored by the Association for the Advancement of Artificial
Intelligence ===

== Important Dates for Tutorial Organizers ==

* February 18, 2011: Tutorial Proposal Submission
* March 4, 2011: Tutorial Acceptance
* July 17, 2011: ICWSM-11 Tutorials Day

The ICWSM-11 Committee invites proposals for Tutorials Day at the Fifth
International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM-11). The
Tutorials Day will be held on July 17, 2011 in Barcelona, Spain. Anyone
interested in presenting a tutorial at ICWSM-11 should submit a proposal to
the 2011 Tutorials Chair (via EasyChair). ICWSM-11 is being co-located with
IJCAI-11, and we plan to have a special conference rate for IJCAI
registrants.

== What Is the Tutorials Day? ==

The Tutorials Day provides an opportunity for junior and senior researchers
to spend a day before ICWSM freely exploring exciting advances in
disciplines outside their normal focus. We believe this type of forum is
essential for the cross-fertilization, cohesiveness, and vitality of the
social media field. We all have a lot to learn from each other; the
Tutorials Day promotes the continuing education of each member in our
community.

== Topics ==

ICWSM is interested in proposals for advanced tutorials at the leading edge
of social media in all its incarnations, including but not limited to: NLP,
Social Psychology, Data Mining, Sociology and Visualization. We are
particularly interested in tutorials that offer two types of knowledge. The
first type provides in-depth background tools to help educate researchers
and students for the purpose of conducting social media research; examples
of this type of tutorial from ICWSM-10 include "Introduction to Social Media
Network Analysis" and "Large-Scale Social Media Analytics with Hadoop". A
second type of tutorial provides a broad overview for a social media area
that potentially crosses boundaries with an interesting application area;
examples of this type of tutorial from ICWSM-10 include "The Social Semantic
Web: How Web 2.0 and the Semantic Web Can Strengthen Each Other" and "The
Social Psychology of Social Media through the Lens of Text Analysis".

Our goal is to present a diverse program that includes tutorials on core
areas of social media research for new or non-technical audiences, and
tutorials from allied non-computing disciplines that can inform research
within social media. Previous years' tutorial programs provide an indication
of the scope and variety of possible topics. The list is not exclusive;
indeed, we are expressly interested in topics that we would not have
imagined to mention. Finally, note that we very much welcome proposals for
educational approaches that go beyond the traditional format of four-hour
tutorials, exploiting the flexibility that the open format program offers.

== Submission Requirements ==

We need two kinds of information in the proposals: information that will be
used for selecting proposals and information that will appear in the
tutorial description brochure. The proposal should provide sufficient
information to evaluate the quality of the technical content being taught,
the quality of the educational material being used, and the speakers' skill
at presenting this material.

Each proposal should include at least the following:

* Goal of the tutorial: Who is the target audience? What will the audience
walk away with? What makes the topic innovative?
* History: List of previous venues and approximate audience sizes, if the
same or a similar tutorial has been given elsewhere; otherwise an estimate
of the audience size.
* Content: Detailed outline and list of additional materials, augmented with
samples, such as past tutorial slides and survey articles, whenever
possible. Be as complete as possible.
* Tutorial description: 1-2 paragraphs summarizing the tutorial outline
(suitable for promotion on the ICWSM-11 website), and the intended duration
of the session (the default is four hours).
* Prerequisite knowledge: What knowledge is assumed of the target audience?

Please also submit the following information about the team of presenters:
name, mailing address, phone number, email address; background in the
tutorial area, including a list of relevant publications and/or
presentations; any available examples of work in the area (ideally, a
published tutorial-level article or presentation materials on the subject);
evidence of teaching experience (courses taught or references); and evidence
of scholarship in computer science or social science.

== Submission Deadline ==

Proposals must be received by February 18, 2011. Decisions about the
Tutorials Day program will be made by March 4, 2011. Submissions must be in
PDF format and can be made via the EasyChair conference system at:

http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=icwsm2011tutorials
http://bit.ly/icwsm-t

== Tutorials Chair ==

John Breslin
College of Engineering and Informatics / DERI
NUI Galway, University Road, Galway, Ireland
+353 91 492622
john.breslin at nuigalway.ie
@johnbreslin

== Conference Information ==