[Air-L] query: topics that don't get talked about (enough) in academia?

Ted Coopman ted.coopman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 16:22:01 PST 2010

All,

IMO even raw teaching talent and high interpersonal skills will not
save you with a 4/4 teaching load and 200 students. In my experience,
the mechanics of good results based instructional design is required
just to get the breathing space for tapping into the co-cultures of
the institution, major, and classroom and connect with students. You
can't innovate or push boundaries If you are struggling with the
basics. If you are overwhelmed with the tasks at hand (or "in the
weeds" as we called it the restaurant trade) you won't have the time,
attention, or energy for anything else.

Student co-cultures and ability varies even across programs at the
same universities. I teach in Communication Studies and in a Radio,
Television and Film program and the students are very different in
temperament and ability. You need to teach the students who have as
opposed to the students you wish you had or some mythic student for
that matter. This groove happens as you learn the dynamics of the
scene.

Honestly, I think that teaching can be great for your own intellectual
development and research if you can make the breathing space for that
to happen. I can't tell you how many times I have been describing some
theory or answering a question and as I work through the answer
realize that up until that moment I really didn't understand some
critical or nuanced aspect of it. For example, I have been using
semiotics a lot in my research classes because, aside from it being
interesting and challenging to students, I have been working on
getting a more complex understanding of it (not my area).

I believe that academics are missing out on a lot of personal
intellectual development by not taking the practice  as seriously as
research.

-TED