[Air-L] query: topics that don't get talked about (enough) in academia?

Nancy Van House vanhouse at ischool.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 8 07:57:23 PST 2010

Spring semester I'm teaching our on-going seminar for doctoral students that
addresses various topics related to being a researcher and, to a lesser
degree, teaching.

My spring theme: topics that don't get talked about, or not enough, or not
frankly enough.

SUGGESTIONS WANTED!

Some examples:
-conflicts over co-authorship -- who's included, how names are ordered
-conflicts among collaborators/co-authors
-dealing with colleagues who are bullies
-reviewing, and responding to reviewers
-various problems with students, in class and out.  The ordinary ones; and
the extraordinary (e.g., stalking)

**What were YOU not sufficiently prepared to face when you first finished
your PhD?** Or, as a PhD student, what would you want such a seminar to
cover?

Nancy Van House
Professor, School of Information
102 South Hall #4600
University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-4600
voice 510.642.0855   fax 510.642.5814
http://www.ischool.berkeley.edu/~vanhouse