[Air-L] Janet Salaff, RIP

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 11 05:40:32 PST 2010

It is with great sadness that I write to tell you that our colleague and
good friend, Janet Salaff, has passed away today

To many this will come as a surprise; others will know that she had been
having neurological problems in the past few years. She entered into a
coma on Thursday and never woke up.

True to form, Janet died happy, having wine and dinner with friends, and
planning her next tango trip to Argentina. and among good friends.

Janet was known primarily an expert on Asian social networks:
China, Singapore, HongKong, and Taiwan.

However, she, I and Dima Dimitrova did a nice ethnographic study of
teleworkers in a large corporation, and she was an active member of our
Cavecat/Telepresence project's building and evaluating collaborative
software. Some papers from this are on my website.

There will be a memorial service, but we don't know when or where.

  Barry Wellman