[Air-L] [CITASA] Fw: New LA Opera Requirements for Volunteers (fwd)

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 20 10:38:21 PST 2010

Yes, this is reactionary criminal law leaving behind the principles of
criminal law or so I learned in legal studies recently. Very rare crimes big
response.

That said, we at Computers for Communities in Ottawa Canada ask our
volunteers to have a police background check as we worked out of the Ottawa
Boys and Girls club boiler room for our first computer refurbishing workshop
this past year. I am, in fact, volunteering to write our police records
check policy.

I have been fingerprinted to volunteer at the Canadian Museum of Nature. I
have also consented to a background records check to volunteer in Victim's
services.

I have one book that covers Police Records Checks from the field of managing
volunteers and have attended workshops on the subject.

Think of coaching Hockey? There are whole courses on speaking up about child
abuse one must study to qualify to coach your kid's team.

So I agree with others that this is the norm these days.

Peter Timusk
at571 at ncf.ca
ptimusk at sympatico.ca
web: www.crystalcomputing.net