[Air-L] IRB and blogs

Wendy M. Christensen wchriste at bowdoin.edu
Sun Oct 17 10:09:21 PDT 2010

Kevin's point is an excellent one, and clarifies my earlier post that sometimes even with "published" material on public blogs and message forums, the writers often have some expectation of privacy with the personal material they post. This does not mean we ought to go through IRB to analyze these kinds of documents, but that as researchers we need to decide for ourselves how much about the material we study is appropriate to identify in our writing (and what we might feel more comfortable using a pseudonym for).

For example, in my research on the mothers of service members who belong to public online support forums, I received IRB permission to conduct interviews with the mothers, but not for my analysis of their online material. Still, I decided to use pseudonyms for participants even when they had their own publicly published blogs in order to protect their personal views. Individuals use the internet differently, and when people blog about personal issues they often do so to share their thoughts with what they perceive to be a small group of others in the same situation. Sure, I could have considered their blog posts to be public documents and cited them by name etc., but I would not have felt good about that decision. It is not just text, there are individuals behind that text. Yes, the internet is public, but the way people use it blurs the lines between what is public and what is private, and we have to consider the implications of this complexity on a case by case basis.

-Wendy

Wendy M. Christensen, Ph.D.

Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bowdoin College
wchriste at bowdoin.edu