[Air-L] acceptable sources for undergraduate research in new media fields

Christopher Richter crichter at hollins.edu
Wed Oct 20 10:30:57 PDT 2010

Tery,

I like the fact that the research aspect of your final project itself becomes an exercise in digital media literacy!  Do you approach it that way in terms of grading criteria?

On similar projects, I sometimes pre-approve (or disapprove) topics based in part on my estimation of what lit they might find.

Also, I have allowed students to use, in more or less ranked order: Journal articles; conference papers, which are at least minimally refereed, but with less delay than for journal articles (a lot of International Communication Association conference papers, e.g., are on a data base our library subscribes to--EBSCO, I think); works by journalists generally--not just NYT, but also L.A. Times, Washington Post, Wall St. Journal, Chronicle of Higher Ed., even Wired Magazine; finally, blogs and other web sources that may/may not be as reliable, but that I ask students to consider critically, and in the context of the other, potentially more balanced sources they (I hope) have found.  This approach isn't 100% effective--but I am convinced that often the students with weak sources weren't as persistent or careful as others, and I grade them accordingly.

Christopher J. Richter

Associate Professor, Communication Studies
Hollins University
8015 Quadrangle Lane
PO Box 9652
Roanoke, VA 24020-1652