[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 75, Issue 22

Tery G teryg93 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 06:04:51 PDT 2010

A surprising number. When we first heard the term "sexting," for instance, a
student wanted to investigate that. There were newspaper articles about it,
and a lot of discussion on the web, but it hadn't been around long enough
for anything to have hit the peer-reviewed journals.

Cyberbullying was another one of those topics. When students first heard
about it and wanted to investigate it, there was either little or nothing in
the peer-reviewed journals (I don't remember which now; it's been a while
since that topic first came up). But there were discussions in reputable
newspapers and current examples on the web.

Another topic is a mixed bag: net neutrality. While there is information in
peer-reviewed journals on net neutrality now, there was none at the time
students first wanted to learn more about it. In that case, they can pull
from the peer-reviewed journals now, but what we all really want to know is
exactly where we are in the arguments about net neutrality right now. They
can't find that in a peer-reviewed journal. Another question is what the
best information is. Their final projects are multimedia presentations, and
the best basic description of net neutrality I've seen is on Tim
Berners-Lee's video blog. I do consider that a reputable source, though,
which I tell them.

So I guess that's the overall problem. Even for topics where they can find
information in peer-reviewed journals, what they -- and I -- want to know is
what's happening *now* in that particular area in this fast-moving new media
environment. For that, they have to turn to sources that haven't had time to
go through the peer-review process, even if they're headed that way, which
they often are not.

Tery