[Air-L] privacy related practices, datasets and research

Seda Guerses sguerses at esat.kuleuven.be
Mon Oct 25 01:17:00 PDT 2010

dear airudites,

a friend and i want to write something about how to develop privacy
related practices when collecting, processing and sharing datasets for
research purposes. we are interested in what it takes to be compliant
with data protection regulation (or similar regulation that applies in
your state/country) or the ethics board, but more importantly we are
interested in principles that could be seen as good privacy practices
with respect to scientific research. these could be practices that you
have developed in the past with respect to consent, anonymization
(which has proven to be a weak protection mathematically, but what are
ways around this problem), transparency, community etc. are there
practices in your institution or community that you can point us to,
or that you have thought about that you would like to share with us?
also problems that you have run into would be very valuable. :)
thank you,
seda