[Air-L] Plot retention rates in AAA titles

Rob Baron baro0033 at umn.edu
Mon Oct 25 09:38:52 PDT 2010

Jordan,

That's an interesting question, especially when you consider that the
single-player (more plot driven) portion of many FPS is a small part of
the overall game-playing experience.

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of the retention of a game's
plot, or ignoring the plot of a game, but rather how much players engage
with that plot as part of their overall gaming experience.  For example
/Call of Duty: Modern Warfare/ has a much bigger presence as a
multiplayer community than as as a single player game.  I would argue
that this multiplayer portion has more to do with pure ludic experience
rather than a narrative experience of the single player campaign.

I think the question has more to do with the number of player that want
to engage with a FPS's plot as opposed to the effectiveness of that
plots presentation, especially considering that some of the earliest
examples of this genre only used plot as a way to set up the "shooty
parts" of the game.

You could look at the extent to which players engage in single-player
portions of a FPS to try to assess this.

I'd also be careful of lumping all FPS games together.  I know that
there are a number of games that put a premium on plot and totally
eschew multiplayer gameplay (like /Bioshock/).  You may want to specify
the kinds of FPSs that you're looking at.

--
Rob Baron
PhD Candidate and Graduate Instructor