[Air-L] what should an introductory course cover in such a fast-changing field?

Umar Ruhi umar.ruhi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 17:42:11 PDT 2010

Hi Tery,

Last year, I helped in the development of a similar course.

Based on your description, I gather that your course is geared towards
“creating” and “accessing” digital media. If that’s the case, then the
skills-based components you’ve outlined make a lot of sense. The only
additions I would make are: i) include a blogging component, either in
an individual or a group context; and ii) include a content feeds
(e.g. RSS) component.

If you want ideas other than “creating” and “accessing” digital media,
you can introduce “analyzing” and “evaluating” digital media as well.
These dimensions will allow you to incorporate more skills-based
components such as providing an overview of website and social media
analytics (using tools such as google analytics), and also touch upon
the media that you’ve deliberately excluded (microblogging, and
virtual worlds) by way of asking students to perform short critical
reviews and assessments.

I understand if these dimensions are beyond the expectations in a
first-year course. The course that I’ve based my suggestions on was a
second-year course.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Umar Ruhi

Umar Ruhi,
Assistant Professor, Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa
Management Consultant, Web/Enterprise 2.0
Website: http://www.umar.biz
Email: umar at umar.biz