[Air-L] FB, research ethics, and privacy

Stuart Shulman stuart.shulman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 11:35:55 PDT 2010

We are about 3 days away from the launch of a tool that will let you log in
with your Facebook account and select from available available Facebook
feeds (ex., groups, fan pages, etc) for research purposes. This will be very
good stuff, but not limited to the Facebook streams. Twitter feeds, blog
posts and comments, and RSS feeds of all types.

Mark your calendars: November 1, 2010 will be the launch of DiscoverText.

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Lois Scheidt <lscheidt at indiana.edu> wrote:

> One of the things that implies is that Facebook has changed their stance on
> giving outside researchers access to their site. Would be really nice if
> that were true.
>
> Lois Ann Scheidt
>
> --
> Lois Ann Scheidt
> Doctoral Candidate - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
> University, Bloomington IN USA
> Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
> CV:  http://www.loisscheidt.com/cv.html
> Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com
>
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Charles Ess <charles.ess at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In case you're interested in those issues and haven't seen it yet:
> >
> > <
> >
> http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/what-facebook-tells-researchers-abou
> > t-friendship-and-race/27872?sid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en<
> http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/what-facebook-tells-researchers-abou%0At-friendship-and-race/27872?sid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en
> >

> > One of the comments to the story suggests, shall we say, that there would
> > be
> > different IRB responses to the study - itself an interesting dimension to
> > all of this.
> >
> > In any event, enjoy -
> > -charles
> >
> > Institut for Informations- og Medievidenskab
> > Helsingforsgade 14
> > 8200 Århus N.
> > Denmark
> > mail: <imvce at hum.au.dk>
> > tel: (+45) 8942 9250
> >
> > Professor, Philosophy and Religion
> > Drury University, Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA
> >
> > Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23

> > http://www.aoir.org/

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science
University of Massachusetts Amherst
200 Hicks Way
Amherst, MA 01003

http://people.umass.edu/stu/
stu at polsci.umass.edu
413-545-5375

Editor, Journal of Information Technology and Politics
http://www.jitp.net

Director, QDAP-UMass
http://www.umass.edu/qdap/

Associate Director, National Center for Digital Government
http://www.umass.edu/digitalcenter/