[Air-L] Institutional Repository Software - Suggestions?

Alberto Pepe apepe at cfa.harvard.edu
Sun Oct 31 10:05:32 PDT 2010

Arun- you have many options.

Eprints should actually be the easiest to setup (I am afraid). But it is
only suitable for fairly small collections.

If it's size you're after, check:

Duraspace (http://www.duraspace.org/ - Fedora + Dspace) is widely used and
is a more complete/large system. You can expect some support as it is a
large project.

Invenio (http://cdsware.cern.ch/invenio/index.html) is probably the hardest
to install but gives you full control/customization and handles fast search
for up to ~2 million records. As it will be the software of choice for all
the physical and astronomical sciences (CERN CDS, Spires, etc), you can
expect continuity and great support.

also- Microsoft Research recently announced Zentity (
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/zentity/). They say it installs
in two hours but I do not think it is open source and I doubt it handles
large collections.

there's many more. you can find some articles that actually compare all
these systems...

hope this helps.

AP

--