[Air-L] LiveJournal, online communities, and rebellions

Christine Moellenberndt chris at inreach.com
Thu Oct 7 14:06:21 PDT 2010

Howdy list folks,

Lurking MA student here, but a few things have crossed my radar that i
feel the need to poke at a bit:

1) re: Alexander and the search for articles: This research piqued my
interest, since LJ is my fieldsite for my MA thesis.  Alexander, i'm not
sure you're on the right track here, but granted i'm not fully following
your hypothesis, and i don't read Russian :) But you're basing off two
"huge scandals" in Russian sociology weren't discussed in the sociolog
community.  i'm not sure that's enough to base on.  Communities wax and
wane in popularity and use, (i see that this community is about seven
years old) and it could be that as these scandals happen, people don't
immediately think to turn to LJ for discussion anymore.  i think people
join the communities in the hopes of having discussions or at least
learning something new, but so many communities start to lose popularity
and traffic that nothing happens and we just never un-join them.  i have
several communities i'm a member of and never post to, mainly because
there's just no traffic so i doubt i'd get any responses, and have been
too lazy to unjoin.  There's also the "lurk factor" in these communities
which is similar to us lurkers on mailing lists.

Now Facebook groups OTOH... THOSE i totally agree with where you're going :)

Just my 2cents as a longtime LJ user and shorttime LJ budding-scholar :)
i'd be interested in your research however as the Russian side of LJ is
becoming very fascinating for me (especially in wake of the
FaceBook/Twitter integration scandal/rebellion/unpleasantness of just a
few weeks ago)

2) re: Grassroots online rebellions. Oh my.  There have been so MANY,
though i'm not sure they've all be documented :) They aren't just
happening in "virtual worlds" though; in my archival LJ research i'm
deep in the thick of currently, i have been documenting several
rebellions of users on LJ when LJ's parent company made changes the
users weren't too satisfied with.  i'd be happy to go into detail with
the OP offlist if warranted, though as i said none of this is published
but observed.

Anyways, just my 2 cents in whatever currency you choose... now i go
back under my lurkrock :)

-Christine
MA student (soon-to-be candidate as soon as the paperwork clears)
San Jose State University