[Air-L] IRB and blogs, redux

Christine Moellenberndt chris at inreach.com
Sun Oct 17 10:37:10 PDT 2010

i've read through part of this discussion and hopefully can add at least
some anecdotal information here.

It sounds like my research is very similarly structured to the research
being asked about; a combination of blog analysis and personal
interviews.  i also tossed in an anonymous survey as well.  i explained
in my narrative that the textual analysis would have names and titles
attached, as i am not analyzing any private content (i.e. locked entries
available only to a small group of readers), the interviewees would have
pseudonyms, and the survey would be completely anonymous.

Ironically, they had absolutely no problems where i thought they would,
i.e. the textual analysis.  i did lay out the case, however, that public
online discourse does not need to be protected, and compared it to a
newspaper or magazine analysis; it was published in a public arena and
therefore is meant to be read by, commented on by, and (i would argue)
used by in whatever manner they see fit, the public at large.  i also
cited Kelty's The Cultural Significance of Free Software as an example
of online community analysis without pseudonyming anyone or any site
therein.  This explanation seemed to suit them fine.

Where they did get confused was on my interviews, as they thought i'd be
connecting usernames on LiveJournal with the pseudonyms of my
interviewees... thus completely rendering the pseudonym useless.  I drew
them a chart explaining my privacy procedures and told them about the
uselessness in so many words.  i passed through and was fine.

Perhaps a way to handle this in the future is to come up with a list of
"previous case laws" and just cite them over and over in IRB proposals
of this nature until the IRBs get the point? These can be previous
studies, the AoIR ethic guidelines, anything that helps prove the case.
  i think even just having the one cite i did have made a world of
difference to my IRB.

Dunno if it helps the discourse, but just wanted to toss something out
there into the ring since I've Been There.

-christine
Master's Candidate
SJSU