[Air-L] IRB and blogs

Jeremy hunsinger jeremy at tmttlt.com
Sun Oct 17 07:46:10 PDT 2010

Prof. Johnson shared with me that this was a multipart study with the second
part being ethnographic interviews.  As it was submitted to the irb as one
study, and each part was not separate, I think it is easy to see how the irb
could think there were privacy issues created between the published article
and the private interviewee.  I could see this too.  For this to be
documentary research to be treated as documentary research, the two must be
kept separate.  Research on the documents, should not allow inference to
research on the people beyond what the documents say about the people as
that is published knowledge, unless of course one is doing oral history,
then the documents and people can be intertwined apparently.  this comment
is u.s. centric.

-j