[Air-L] IRB and blogs

Brabham, Daren C dbrabham at email.unc.edu
Sun Oct 17 17:57:27 PDT 2010

I agree with Andre's comments on "pseudonymizing" for the sake of "protecting" research participants. It is arrogant, I think, to choose a new name for someone. Remember, too, that names carry cultural baggage with them. Many of the most common names in the U.S. (which tend to be the common pseudonyms I see in "anonymized" articles because those names--John, Mary, etc.--are "generic") have roots in Judeo-Christian traditions....and perhaps some research subjects would strongly oppose being given a Christian name.

I gave interview participants pseudonyms in one article I wrote, but I regret it and now make sure to use "Participant A" or something like that now. In my opinion, if you're going to make research participants anonymous in your study, you should go this really sterile "Participant A" route.

db

---
Daren C. Brabham, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
School of Journalism & Mass Communication
Carroll Hall, CB 3365
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
(919) 962-0676 (office)
(801) 633-4796 (cell)