[Air-L] Qualitative content analysis

Arto Lanamäki arto.lanamaki at uia.no
Fri Oct 29 03:14:10 PDT 2010

Hello,

For any kind of content analysis I would suggest Klaus Krippendorff's book Content Analysis: An Introduction to Its Methodology (2004). (Note: it has to be the second edition of the book). The book offers a very important contribution to the endless quantitative-qualitative distinction. Krippendorff is also conceptually clever, as he is not blinded by the limitations of any paradigm (for example, positivism).

Some quotes as examples:

"Ultimately, all reading of texts is qualitative, even when certain characteristics of a text are later converted into numbers." (p. 16)

"Content analysis is a research technique for making replicable and valid inferences from texts (or other meaningful matter) to the contexts of their use." (p.18)

"Texts have no objective -- that is no reader-independent -- qualities." (p.22)

"Texts do not have single meanings that could be 'found', 'identified,' and 'described' for what they are" (p.22)

"Deductive and inductive inferences are not central to content analysis." (p.36) ... "the whole enterprise of content analysis may well be regarded as an argument of an analysts abductive claims." (p.38)

Have fun content-analysing!

With kind regards,

Arto Lanamäki
Research Fellow