[Air-L] CFP - please fwd as needed

Radhika Gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Sun Oct 3 07:04:05 PDT 2010

*Digital/Media, Race, Affect and Labor*

*Location: Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, USA*

*Dates of the meetings: April 14,15 and 16, 2011*

*Deadline for submission: December 10th 2010*

We are soliciting paper proposals for a three day conference on
Digital/Media, Race, Affect and Labor, to be hosted by the American Culture
Studies Program at Bowling Green State University.

Dr. Anna Everett, Professor of Film, Television and New Media Studies, and
former Chair of the Department of Film and Media Studies at the University
of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) has agreed to be our keynote speaker. We
hope this topic will elicit productive discussions and collaborations that
bring together the layered and crisscrossing themes associated with media,
digital worlds, labor, affect, globalization, and race.

We invite abstracts that look at mediated environments (broadly defined) in
a contemporary or historical context.  Prospective participants are
encouraged to engage with specific conceptual relationships that connect
with the theme of this conference and explore them in any available online
or offline setting.

Thus in the case of digital media and affect related research, one might ask
such questions as: How does desire for the Other play out in global/local
and online/offline intersections? How does affect work in on-line networks
and digital assemblages? What are the affective regimes of on-line
sociality? What kind of perceptions, sensations, affective movements and
public feelings emerge in our highly mediated and digitized environments?

In the case of Race and media, one might examine representations of raced
bodies, shifting conceptualizations of race across space, place and time,
race in cyberspace, racialized labor and so on. Historical mappings of race,
caste, class and gender as well as historical contextualization of media
forms reveal complex and nuanced understandings of how digital economies are
shaped in relation to globalization are encouraged.

In investigating Affect and Labor in relation to globalization and digitally
mediated worlds, one might ask what sorts of socio-economic formations
emerge online and offline? How do we make sense of so-called voluntary
networks of non-profit activities and social entrepreneurship online? How do
notions of neoliberal governmentality shape emerging labor forces?  What are
the global and local implications of how we labor and work and play in
digitally mediated environments?

Please submit abstracts of approximately 400 words to *
raceandaffect at gmail.com *no later than December 10th, 2010*.  *Please be
sure to include your name, paper title, institutional affiliation (if
applicable), email address, A-V equipment requests, and special needs, if
any.  Please email inquiries to
*Radhika at cyberdiva.org*<Radhika at cyberdiva.org>and include “conference”
in your subject line.

--