[Air-L] Need help: virtual worlds and games grass-root rebellions

Arun Menon arun.kid86 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 01:16:51 PDT 2010

Since someone brought up second life, thought i would point out some old
movements in secondlife a few years back.
I am also looking for similar material, so please forward links and
resources.

The SLLA (the second life liberation army)
http://sites.google.com/site/secondlla/ and
http://slla.blogspot.com/2006/10/slla-attacks-reebok.html some mention of
SLLA also turned up in the SL forums archived here
http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/140/ee/127840/1.html They were made
prominent for a very very short duration when they attacked Reebok and
American Apparel and other prominent brands. The second life herald
documents most of the controversies in SL here
http://www.secondlifeherald.com/ which is now the alphaville herald. Mark
Wallace has a nice article on wired here
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.04/second.html

The Second Life Herald by Peter Ludlow and Mark Wallace Published by
MITPress 2007
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11295

Andrew Herman, Rosemary J. Coombe & Lewis Kaye, YOUR SECOND LIFE? Goodwill
and the performativity of intellectual property in online digital gaming,
Cultural Studies Vol. 20, Nos 2-3 March/May 2006, pp. 184-210.

Greg Lastowka, Rules of Play in Games and Culture.
http://gac.sagepub.com/content/4/4/379.abstract
Greg Lastowka, The Laws of Virtual Worlds

Castronova has also written Exodus to thevirtual world 2007, which is more
recent than Synthetic Worlds 2005.

Thanks,
Arun Menon