[Air-L] Need help: virtual worlds and games grass-root rebellions

Tjarda Sixma sixma.vijselaar at planet.nl
Mon Oct 11 05:34:11 PDT 2010

Hi Alejandro,

There have been several protests in Second Life that might be of
interest to you.

1) Protests against Linden Labs

Recently there have been several protests against the Adult Content
Change. See for instance:
http://bdsm-lifenewsletter.blogspot.com/2009/05/newsletter-for-bdsm-life-in-this.html?zx=1566d3e4e3c0f0c8

There has been a protest against the introduction of voice in SL by
transgender groups. Unfortunately I can’t find the info on the web
right now. But there is a nice machinima on youtube about it.

The Sl Rights and Politics website lists several in-world protests
like the "BDSM is Safe - BDSM is not Abuse" group that had billboards
all over SL. See:
http://www.fetishscene.com/second-life/politics.html

2) Protest against sexual content

Sims with extreme sexual content, like The Hard Alley sim:
http://alphavilleherald.com/2009/11/a-view-from-the-back-the-hard-alley-protest.html

3) Political protest on RL issue

Of a different kind has been the IBM protest where IBM's islands were
occupied:
http://www.union-network.org/UNIInDep.nsf/By+Date/FF74A384CEF4EE82C12573DA00595EBA?OpenDocument

Mail me off-list if you want more information or the URL of the voice
protest machinima on Youtube.
Tjarda

Tjarda Sixma MA

sixma.vijselaar at planet.nl