[Air-L] Fwd: AAUP Member NL: Survey on Contingent Faculty

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Oct 4 17:11:59 PDT 2010

forward as appropriate -jh

apologies  the urls below were fail:(  so i googled and found:

http://www.academicworkforce.org/

and

the survey is at:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VNNNRVS

> We all know that more and more faculty members are hired off the tenure track, in contingent appointments of various kinds.  But no good data exist on these appointments. That’s why the American Association of University Professors and other organizations in the Coalition on the Academic Workforce are conducting a survey.(http://lyris.eresources.com:81/t/5289222/4913970/1967/0/ You can help by filling out the survey if you are eligible or by forwarding this e-mail as widely as possible to faculty on your campus and beyond.
>
> The Coalition on the Academic Workforce invites all members of the contingent academic workforce in U.S. colleges and universities to participate in this survey.(http://lyris.eresources.com:81/t/5289222/4913970/1967/0/  It inquires about course assignments, salaries, benefits, and general working conditions as members of the contingent academic workforce experience them at the institutional level. We invite participation from all instructional and research staff members employed off the tenure track, including faculty members employed either full- or part-time, graduate students remunerated as teaching assistants or employed in other roles, and researchers and post-doctoral fellows.
>
> Most of the data on the working conditions of the contingent academic workforce—particularly data about salaries, benefits, and course assignments—exist in large data sets that have been aggregated and averaged at the national level.  Consequently, the similarities and differences that contingent academic workers experience across different institutions and institutional sectors, geographic regions, and disciplines become obscured.  This survey aims to examine salaries, benefits, course assignments, and general working conditions as contingent academic workers experience them at the institutional level. The survey will collect institution- and course-specific information to create a more textured and realistic picture of contingent academic workers’ working lives and working conditions.
>
> We hope that sufficient numbers of respondents will complete this survey to permit developing a rich dataset that will help CAW and its member organizations advocate on behalf of professional compensation and working conditions for the contingent academic workforce. To that end, we deeply appreciate the time and effort given by all who fill out this survey.
>
> Individuals who wish to be entered in a drawing for one of several $50 book gift cards may include contact information at the end of the questionnaire, but this information will not be used to connect survey data with specific persons.
>
> We hope you will fill out the questionnaire (http://lyris.eresources.com:81/t/5289222/4913970/1967/0/ today, but if you cannot, please do so by November 30, 2010.  Winners of the gift cards will be notified the following week. Thank you.

> [...]

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech

http://www.tmttlt.com

Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student.
-George Iles