[Air-L] Definition of on-line community through homophily

Uwe Matzat umatzat at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 06:22:02 PDT 2010

Dear Alexander, Caroline, and others,

I have a paper that runs through these definitions and argues that (some type of)
online communities should be defined by common interest. You, Alexander, may
want to shoot at it for your purpose:

Matzat, U. (2004). "Cooperation and Community on the Internet: Past Issues and
Present Perspectives for theoretical-empirical Internet Research" in: Analyse &
Kritik, 26, 1: 63-90.  (pre-print at my website)

To be honest, I can't follow your argument. Maybe this is just a misunderstanding?
But why does this type of definition imply a high degree of homophily? If you look at
a "classical" online community, for instance a discussion fora about cancer, then
there is a common interest (discussion about cancer). But there does not have to be
a high degree of homophily. Members can have different educational, ethnic, and
social backgrounds. Could you clarify?

-------->
So, my arguement is that community should be defined by interaction, not by
some declarative features like interests, profiles, communities, etc.
-------->

I agree that for some other types of online communities ("social online
communities") other criteria should be taken into account as well. See the article.

Uwe

Semenov Alexander semenoffalex at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 6 01:46:52 PDT 2010