[Air-L] IRB and blogs + invitation

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Sun Oct 17 05:27:22 PDT 2010

Complicated though this case may be from an ethical standpoint, since it involves an IRB and is in the U.S., the IRB must adhere to federal guiddlines for human subjects research as expressed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The "decision tree" HHS provides at http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/decisioncharts.htm I think makes it pretty clear that IRB approval is not required. The two key points in the decision tree are whether the research involves intervention or interaction with human subjects (my assumption, which may be incorrect, is that the blogging in question is going on without contact from the researcher) and whether the information is private (my assumption, which may be incorrect, is that the blog is publicly available). In the event my assumptions are correct, the decision tree leads to the conclusion that "the research is not research involving human subjects." In other words, it is research that should not be subject to IRB review.The researcher's ethics may lead to different conclusions, but from what I can tell, unless something else is going on (communication with the bloggers, comments by the research on posts, or some other means of interacting with the bloggers) the IRB ought not be involved if it is following federal guidelines.

Steve