[Air-L] IRB and blogs + invitation

Ulf-Dietrich Reips u.reips at ikerbasque.org
Sun Oct 17 10:15:41 PDT 2010

Michael:
thank you very much for sharing these links and
materials. Very interesting indeed!

Re Thomas Johnson: If I understand correctly, the
original question is about a practically useless
(and time consuming) request by a Human Subjects
Committee. The Committee apparently does not
understand the power of search engines. It simply
makes no sense to use pseudonyms, if accessible
material is quoted literally.

We had a related case when I was a member of a
faculty e-learning commission at the University
of Zurich. A professor wrote an article in the
university newsletter, in which she was trying to
show that use of electronic media leads to a
deterioration of writing style, particularly with
students. To that end she used several examples
from online forums, including a forum almost
exclusively used by University of Zurich
students. She used pseudonyms for the posters she
quoted, but one student in particular could later
be identified by anyone who used her lengthy
literal quote in a search.

Best --u

--
Ulf-Dietrich Reips, Ph.D.