[Air-L] IRB and blogs

Julian Hopkins reach at julianhopkins.net
Sun Oct 17 10:52:44 PDT 2010

I would agree with what Wendy said, and others, about the need to consider
what bloggers expected their audience to be. I faced most or all of the
issues discussed above, and these are my solutions.

1. Long term observation of their blog, including archiving their blogposts,
etc.: I asked for their permission.
2. Use of direct quotes that are searchable: I asked for permission from the
blogger to use direct quotes (one declined, and I need to paraphrase the
quotes).
3. Anonymity and pseudonyms: although most of those I interviewed wanted me
to use their real name/online pseudonym, I decided to anonymise them (I told
them it was standard practice). I did this because of the issue of
unintended audience, and also because they may not like what I say about
them in the end.
Additionally, I found it to be advantageous in interviews sometimes, when
the interviewee would pause, and say - 'This is anonymous right? Well, ...'
and then proceed to give some juicy details I may not otherwise have
obtained. For me, this made anonymising them worth it, although it is quite
a headache when it comes to reporting the results (see point 2).

I also had a sticky post on my blog announcing that I was researching blogs,
and invited bloggers to give their opinion on two research-ethical questions
(and two others related to my research):
"Will a blogger mind if s/he finds out I've been storing all his/her posts
for a month or more, and doing analyses on the topics covered and the way
s/he interacts with commenters?"
"Should I ask permission to 'observe' a blog in detail? And if the answer is
yes, why? I mean, if a blogger wants to keep his/her blog private, why not
just password-protect it?"

People can see their responses here
(http://julianhopkins.net/index.php?/archives/84-Anthroblogology-Monetisatio
n-in-the-Malaysian-Blogosphere.html), if interested.

Cheers,
Julian

*** Please note that I am changing my email address. You can now reach me
using reach at julianhopkins.net ***
Blog: www.julianhopkins.net
Twitter: @julianhopkins
Skype: julhop