[Air-L] (International community) and Blogs

Monica Murero murero.monica at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 06:49:35 PDT 2010

Dear Colleagues and AoIR's friends,

This discussion has an interesting value for the AoIR international
community as well.   What I mean is that  in the majority of countries
public texts like blogs can be analyzed without asking any permission.
This is valid for several European, Asian, African and South American
nations, and in the US, under the conditions others have mentioned.
Nevertheless,  many of us  tend to contact the bloggers, declare our
research intents, protect contributes ‘anonymity  in public contexts,
use pseudonymous, etc . What does this current praxis tell us?  Are
there different praxis  in the international community of internet
researchers?  Should we take a case by case approach? What I mean is,
for example: would our praxis change in case the bog is  run by an
individual or a commercial company trying to do a  “viral marketing”
operation, and  promote musical groups among prospect consumers
visiting the blog?

My main research interests are  in the field of health care , museum
and art . Like in the majority of countries we do not need to ask for
formal permissions, but I tend to have a "cautious approach", declare
my research intentions, etc. In the case of Thomas' students more
details about the research aims and design should  clarify the issue.
If it is the case of a simple "text analysis" of a public blog, I
would declare my intentions. If something else is involved and relates
to sensible data disclosed in the blog, I would take a  more cautious
approach. In my experience, it is pretty sad to observe disinhibit
unregulated behaviors from business oriented  companies that hire
freelance "bloggers" and social media "promoters" carrying on viral
marketing  campaigns, particularly when unaware people are dealing
with  serious illnesses and search for mutual support and info online.

Monica

Monica Murero , Ph.D.

AoIR Exec, 2003-2009; AoIR Treasurer, 2005-2009
AoIR Lifetime Member
Director E-Life International Institute
Associate Professor in Politics of e-Government
and in Sociology of New Technology
University Federico II, Italy
Consultant, World Health Organization
http://it.linkedin.com/pub/monica-murero-ph-d/16/52/606