[Air-L] Plot retention rates in AAA titles

David Jones djone111 at odu.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:38:37 PDT 2010

The complications that Rob offered are good ones, and I would add a couple
more. To some degree, it's easy to assume that plot is a structure entirely
contained within a text. To my mind, this is a difficult assertion to
sustain, particularly with games. Torben Grodal's book _Embodied Visions:
Emotion, Evolution, Culture and Film_ looks at narrative as a cognitive
phenomenon tied to the biology of brain. His model for understanding this is
extremely similar to many of the cognitive theories of perception and
understanding that form a lot of HCI and interaction design work.

To this end, I've always considered games to have plots (plural), even FPS
games. Even if players aren't paying attention to the scripted moments that
are supposed to drive the logic of the game's action, they're still
experiencing some sort of cohesive thread that connects events. These will
vary to some degree, if only slightly. I've never done it because it's
outside my research focus, but I've been tempted to ask players to write
narrative descriptions of the in-game events they experience, and then do a
discourse analysis that codes for similarities and differences in the
narratives that compares those reports to the in-game events themselves. For
me, it would be a matter of looking at how different technologies impact
player experiences. PC vs console. Keyboard/mouse vs light gun vs
controller. How those experiences are embodied during play and afterward.
But, I can see this as a way to start to tackle the issue of narrative/plot
perception during gameplay.

--
Dave Jones
PhD Student