[Air-L] Researchers in the privacy field

MacDougall, Robert robert_macdougall at post03.curry.edu
Tue Sep 28 16:05:36 PDT 2010

Hey All,

I've done no serious research with Facebook and privacy yet, but since someone brought up Google, I wrote a piece a couple years ago comparing the search strategies of Google and Yahoo (mostly) that gets at some of the issues being floated in this conversation: essentially, how users, content, and users-as-content are linked up.

Given that the journal EME (explorations in media ecology) is still, somehow, not yet available via online database, I imagine sending out a PDF to a few colleagues wouldn't irk the editors at Hampton Press too much.

Abstract below.  If anyone wants a copy of the article let me know off-list and I'll push a PDF in your direction.

Thanks,
-r

Web Search Engineering and our Emerging Information Ecologies: designing and defining authority online.

Abstract

As artificial intelligence systems underpin more online news searches everyday, a basic understanding of how these systems function should be part of any media literacy program.  This paper describes the mechanics underlying two of the most popular online news browsing systems: GoogleNews and Yahoo’s news search functions.  Different employments and valuations of the three primary methods of information assessment and retrieval employed by these systems are discussed.   This is followed by a critique of the increasingly opaque news and information environments now emerging.  Several problems are noted that may contribute to an erosion of the social and political health of any society connected to such apparatuses.