[Air-L] Permission to reproduce webpages?

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:45:24 PDT 2010

Yes, the situation would be different, in that the copyright laws are
different. I make no claims to expertise in copyright law and my comments
about fair use are definitely U.S. specific.  For the U.K., I know there's
"Fair Dealings," which facilitates defensible use  of copyrighted materials
for "criticism and review."  But provisions and exemptions vary by country.

I would still recommend further discussion with the journal publishers,
regardless of where they are located.  I think it's important to push the
envelope and engage in reasoned debate about fair use concepts, especially
since the definitions and practices are evolving and changing because of
digital media.  For us researchers, the ability to use (fairly) copyrighted
materials in our research is a critical value.