[Air-L] Permission to reproduce webpages?

Gilbert B. Rodman gbrodman at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 3 13:48:08 PDT 2010

  I'm happy to be corrected on the legal nuances of asking first. Doubly
so, since I already knew the rough details of the case Dan mentioned,
but had never thought of it in terms of the "asking first" aspect of
things. So thanks to Dan for that. :)

That said, I'm going to quibble a bit -- in a friendly fashion, I hope
-- with the notion that asking is "polite" and "less complicated."

To be sure, asking may be polite ... but it's not clear to me that not
asking is necessarily impolite. Especially if one is asking a
corporation, rather than an individual. I can certainly imagine it being
polite to ask someone if I could use, say, a family photo of theirs that
they'd posted to Flickr or Facebook. Not so much if I'm asking CNN for
permission to republish a screengrab of the front page of their website.
I’m not sure it’s even possible to be impolite to a corporation ... but
that’s a philosophical question for another moment.

More to the point, the norm (scholarly and otherwise) when it comes to
using other people's printed words is NOT to ask except in cases where
the quote in question is exceptionally long. And we generally don't
claim that it's impolite to quote other people's words without
permission (or that etiquette demands we ask permission anyway). Quite
the opposite, actually. We assume that as long as we follow scholarly
norms of attribution and citation, that we can -- and must be allowed to
-- quote other people’s words freely, and that they do NOT have the
right to grant or withhold permission when we do so. Mind you, I'm happy
to accept that there are real differences between words (on the one
hand) and images, songs, websites, etc (on the other) that matter with
respect to both copyright and fair use. But I'm not sure those
differences typically register at the level of social courtesy.

And asking can actually be *very* complicated -- if only because the
questions of *who* actually needs to be asked and *where* they can be
reached is not always simple. I'll give one personal example to
illustrate this, but I'm sure it's not unique.

A few years ago, I wrote an essay on Eminem that was accepted for
publication by the journal Popular Communication. I'd completed the
revisions the editors had asked for, and everything was set ... until
the legal team at Lawrence Erlbaum (who publish the journal) said I
needed to secure permission for any lyrics I quoted that were longer
than a sentence fragment. I had to write the letters, pay the fees (if
any), and produce documentation of all of this ... or drop all
un-cleared lyric quotes from the essay. I pushed back -- arguing the
quotes were all textbook examples of "fair use" (e.g., brief quotations
for the purposes of scholarship and cultural criticism) -- but they
didn't budge. (Not right away, anyway. Eventually, they relented. But
I'm trying to keep this brief.)

So I tried to contact "Eight Mile Publishing" (Eminem's music publishing
company) to request the permission LEA insisted that I had to have. But,
of course, like most music publishing companies, Eight Mile is a paper
corporation. It has no staff. It has no offices. It has no street
address. It doesn't even have a post office box. Or, more crucially, if
it has any of those things, that information isn't publicly accessible
in any easy-to-find fashion. I went through every sideways and back
channel I could imagine simply to figure out where to send a letter to
someone who *might* be in a position to make sure that my query landed
in the hands of the right people. None of the letters I eventually sent
off ever resulted in so much as an acknowledgment, much less an actual
response to my request for permission.

This whole process took several months. And it was far more complicated
than it would have been simply to treat the quotations in question as
“fair use” from the start. To be sure -- and this may be what Dan is
getting at -- those several months of frustration were undoubtedly
easier than being in the receiving end of a copyright infringement
lawsuit. Even if “fair use” would have won out in such a case. I get
that. But let’s also not pretend that "asking first” is necessarily an
easy thing to do.

cheers
gil