[Air-L] New Book: Gaydar Culture

Sharif Mowlabocus s.j.mowlabocus at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Sep 7 01:19:21 PDT 2010

Dear esteemed colleagues,

Please forgive this unsolicited piece of self-promotion but I wanted
to alert you to the publication of my new book Gaydar Culture.

I've pasted some publisher blurb below. A few of the topics covered in
the book include:

- Grindr and 'digital cruising'
- Gaydar, identity and user profiles
- Public sex cultures on and offline
- Bareback websites
- Gay men's visual culture

The book is available from Amazon or direct from the publisher's
website - where you'll receive a discount for a limited period.

  http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9780754675358

Many thanks

Sharif Mowlabocus

Gaydar Culture

Popular culture has recognised urban gay men's use of the Web over the
last ten years, with gay Internet dating and Net-cruising featuring as
narrative devices in hit television shows. Yet to date, the
relationship between urban gay culture and digital media technologies
has received only limited attention. "Gaydar Culture" explores the
integration of specific techno-cultural practices within contemporary
gay male sub-culture. Taking British gay culture as its primary
interest, the book locates its critical discussion within the wider
global context of a  proliferating model of Western 'metropolitan' gay
male culture. Focusing primarily on web-based forms and practices in
order to address the key issues of sexual and gender identity, with a
secondary emphasis on the attending themes of sexual practice and
sexual risk, its principal concern is the impact that increasing
levels of digital 'immersion' or 'integration' is having on these
aspects of 'mainstream' gay male culture. Making use of a series of
case studies in the development of a theoretical framework through
which past, present and future practices of digital immersion can be
understood and critiqued, this book constitutes a timely intervention
into the fields of digital media studies, cultural studies and the
study of gender and sexuality.

Dr. Sharif Mowlabocus
Lecturer in Media and Digital Media Studies
Dept. of Media and Film Studies
University of Sussex
Tel: 01273 876587
s.j.mowlabocus at sussex.ac.uk

***OUT NOW****
Gaydar Culture: Gay Men, Technology & Embodiment in the Digital Age
More details at:
http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9780754675358

Centre for Material Digital Culture:
www.sussex.ac.uk/rcmdc/

Brighton and Sussex Sexualities Network:
www.cmis.brighton.ac.uk/bssn

Blog
http://creativemess.wordpress.com/