[Air-L] Graduate programs for "internet studies"?

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Wed Sep 29 21:32:23 PDT 2010

Who do you admire?  Who do you want to work with?  PhD programs especially (less so for Master's) are all about your advisor and your committee, your ability to connect with your peers, and your ability go get a solid foundation in various intellectual traditions that you can bring to the table when talking about Internet dynamics.  My advice to all potential grad students is to start by making a list of the scholars that you respect.  Go to conferences in fields that you want to engage with (like AOIR) and meet people.  Figure out who you think you could get along with.  And then build out from there.  Programs are important but less so than individual mentors that can help you through your intellectual inquiry.

If it helps at all, I wrote this long post for folks interested in going to grad school: http://www.danah.org/GradSchoolAdvice.html

Personally, I didn't know what an information school was when I applied to Berkeley.  (Heck, I still don't.)  But as soon as I met Peter, my beloved advisor, I knew that it was the perfect place for me.  And I never would've imagined that learning about how information is organized by librarians would be at all relevant to my studies, but OMG has it been surprisingly useful.  I should also note that what I admired about Peter had nothing to do with Internet studies.  I admired his ability to think critically and turn any idea upside down to see it from a different direction.  We talked Gramsci and the role of activism in scholarship.  I taught him about the Internet; he taught me how to look at it critically.  And he taught me the value of playing good cop/bad cop in academia.   (May he RIP.)

When I went to grad school, I didn't need someone to teach me about the Internet; I needed someone to give me the room to study the Internet.  It wasn't about the classes or the reading. It was about the critical thinking apparatus.  And it was about having an advisor and a committee who provided the intellectual backbone to do new research.

So while there are great internet studies programs out there - and I encourage you to investigate them - don't limit yourself by topic.  Focus on who you want to work with, who you want to learn from.

Good luck!

danah