[Air-L] Permission to reproduce webpages?

Andre Brock andre.brock at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 08:22:25 PDT 2010

For the first time in, well, ever I've been asked by a journal to obtain permission from a website to reproduce a screenshot of a webpage.   Not, to be clear, of an image on the page - but of the page itself.   I've been offered the option of removing the image and replacing it with a URL, but from an archival standpoint that's problematic.  Webpages with dynamic content change all the time, not to mention that authors sometimes change formats/platforms, modify pages, or remove content that was included in the original analysis.

I don't want to miss the publishing deadline, but I need to know: "where dey do dat at?!?" (translation: since when did fair use guidelines get bent so badly in academic publishing?)

André Brock
Assistant Professor, SLIS/POROI
University of Iowa