[Air-L] Non-Code-Centric Texts in Introductions To Computer Science?

Bernhard Rieder lists at procspace.net
Mon Sep 27 08:18:52 PDT 2010

  Hi Peter,

I think that there are actually quite a lot of books out there that may
capture the interest of CS people without being centered on code or
engineering practices. I'd suggest the following classics:

"Winograd & Flores: Understanding Computers and Cogition"
"Agre: Computation and Human Experience"
"Brown & Duguid: The Social Life of Information"

A good place to lookfor more may be:
http://hci.stanford.edu/publications/bds/

I also think that the historical approach to computing has the potential
to provide a wider perspective to your students.

"Edwards: The Closed World" is quite fascinating and "Campbell-Kelly &
Aspray: Computer. A History of the Information Machine" is still the
best general history of computing I've read.

cheers and good luck for tickling that inner humanist in your codesquad...
B.

--
Bernhard Rieder
Laboratoire Paragraphe