[Air-L] Graduate programs for "internet studies"?

David Golumbia dgolumbia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 17:15:19 PDT 2010

danah asks good questions ("who do you admire? who do you want to work
with"?) While I agree that the answers she gives can and sometimes do work
in ideal circumstances, when I work with BA and MA students applying to PhD
programs in either English or digital studies I generally counsel against
this approach, always leaving room for exceptions.

The problem is that it is so usual for professors, especially "hot"
professors, to switch schools, often several times. I know very few PhD
students, in fact, who made it through a 5 or 6 or 7 year program ending up
with the same committee they thought they'd start out with, in part because
the 3 faculty they started out with are no longer all there.

If your advisor leaves, then what? At a school like Berkeley or Yale or
Columbia there are likely to be quite a few other professors you can work
with. But it too often happens that people go to a small unviersity to work
with one person, who leaves, resulting in a student being stranded in a
program for which they have no investment. Also, there is no guarantee that
the faculty member you've chosen will agree to work with you, despite your
having "gone there to work with them"; among other things, faculty are quite
limited in the number of PhDs they can directly supervise. Your academic
hero refuses you: what then

I'm not saying advisors don't matter; I'm saying everything matters. What I
tell PhD students is that they need to try to be clear, in a very iterative
fashion (thinking about the future again and again as it gets closer, &
realizing you can't solve all the problems all at once, or know who or what
you will want to be), about what they hope the degree will do for them. In
my home discipline, English, it is fairly clear that the goal is to become a
tenure-track English professor, and even within that goal there are many
subdivisions it's critical to consider (19c American? poetry? novel? etc.),
but that goal is absolutely critical to keep in mind throughout the process
of choosing a school if that's what you want. At the top of English, for
example, if you were choosing between Berkeley and Oregon or Michigan
(picking names out of hat), there is just the raw fact a Berkeley PhD looks
better on your cv *from the elitist perspectve of the top schools* for
hiring purposes. If that's what you want, you have to pick Berkeley. I'm not
saying it needs to be what you want--I'm saying it's good to be as clear as
possible about what you want.

Then there are definitely places that earn their kudos a little regardless
of personalities; MIT's Media Lab would stand out, where it can be pretty
clear whether that's a place you'd like to try to go, somewhat without
regard to which people you want to work with.

But In this sense it is at least critical to ask the question: what do I
like about the program, other than the advisor? if my advisor leaves, will i
still be happy? who will i work with? usually, a better answer to these
questions than "one person I want to work with" is "a strong faculty with
multiple members whose interests intersect with mine."

As to subject matter, I think there is conceptual reason why there may
always be, with some exceptions, an advantage to doing internet + something
else. Think of it this way: many good History PhDs talk about digital and
internet phenomena in great detail. A History PhD with a specialization in
internet technology or something can go very far *within the academy* --
since that is the administrative reason PhD programs exist and can be
brought into being, which is not to say they don't have other uses--whereas
a PhD in Internet Studies ends up being more constrained. The History PhD
who knows a ton about microcomputer development will be a real competitor
for a professor job in an Internet program. The Internet Studies PhD who
knows a lot about the history of microcomputers will have a very tough time
in History Departments. So the History PhD has two sandboxes to play in
while Internet Studies has only one. The intellectual version of this is:
the very strength of the argument for the internet's influence is its
pervasiveness in every aspect of our lives. That being the case, "Internet
Studies" risks tasking "every aspect of our lives" as its subject matter;
and while that is always an important thing to keep in mind, it is also not
something one regular reads in job descriptions.

Just my .02 from longer in more trenches than I could ever have imagined...

dg/vcu