[Air-L] (no subject)

Tom Apperley thomas.apperley at une.edu.au
Mon Sep 13 16:17:25 PDT 2010

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your thoughts on polymedia. I'm intrigued, in the sense that
while I recognise its a highly relevant and important area of research, I'm
not quite sure how to use the term apart from demarcating this area to
inquiry. Could you perhaps use 'polymedia' in a sentence or two?

I've been using 'media ecology' to describe the same phenomena (following
Fuller, 2005). I find it useful because as well any addressing the issue of
'many' media it also accounts for how media 'platforms' are connected,
imbricated and embedded to/in each other.

Best wishes,

Tom

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Daniel <d.miller at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> First I wanted to introduce myself, having just joined this list. I have
> been working on internet studies since a book I published with Don Slater,
> The Internet: an Ethnographic Approach (Berg 2000). Most recently I
> completed a book Tales from Facebook, which is coming out with Polity in
> April 2011. More concretely I have included below a cross-posting which
> comes from a blog I have been running for some years with Haidy Geismar of
> NYU at www.materialworldblog.com <http://www.materialworldblog.com/>  a
> few
> of whose postings may interest people on this list.
>

> In this particular case the posting may be unusual in that the primary
> purpose for posting is to let people know that we have proposed this term
> polymedia for general usage in the hope of creating some semantic
> consistency. But in addition I must admit I would also be interested to
> know
> if there are people on this list who a) see themselves as working
> specifically on this topic of polymedia or b) currently carrying out
> sustained ethnographic work (i.e. a year or more fieldwork) on social
> networking sites?
>
> Danny Miller
>

> POLYMEDIA
>
> Mirca Madianou (sociology, Cambridge) and Daniel Miller (anthropology,
> University College London)
>

> Academics should be very wary of neologisms that most often lead to
> esoteric
> obfuscation and confusion. But occasionally there is an overwhelming
> argument that something in the world has changed beyond recognition and
> beyond the capacity and semantics of language, such that the only effective
> way to clearly convey it is through this strategy. For this reason we make
> no apology for inventing the word 'polymedia'. The basic argument is quite
> simple. Until very recently most people wishing to communicate at a
> distance
> had a limited choice of media, and as a result they had to pay considerable
> attention to the cost and to the constraints imposed by the particular
> media
> they that were available to them for that communication. When transnational
> communication was mainly limited to letters and the sending of
> voice-recorded cassette tapes, then our evidence is that users were very
> conscious of the propensities of the media themselves in shaping their
> communications, as is evident, for example, in the extensive time lag
> between sending and receiving letters.
>

> In recent times, and for many people around the world this means the last
> year or two, (although we recognise for many other people this is still not
> yet the case) have finally reached a state where there exists a genuine
> proliferation of possibilities when it comes to communication between
> separated persons. Furthermore once the costs of the equipment and payment
> [...]

Thomas Apperley, PhD
Lecturer in Media Studies
Higher Degree Research Coordinator
School of Arts
University of New England

Author of *Gaming Rhythms: Play and Counterplay from the Situated to the
Global*. Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures.

<http://www.networkcultures.org/_uploads/TOD%236%20total%20def.pdf> (click
on image to download)

Editor Digital Culture & Education<http://www.digitalcultureandeducation.com>

Guest Editor (with Michael Dieter) Fibreculture
16<http://sixteen.fibreculturejournal.org/>'Counterplay'