[Air-L] How does Facebook find friends?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Sep 24 05:30:09 PDT 2010

It's magic....not black magic, or dark magic -- but Bit Magic(tm)!!   :)

I suspect it uses the email contacts and/or user names to cross-match recommendations.   LinkedIn/Twitter seems to use such an algorithm/system to find out who you might want to connect with -- ie, a degrees-of-separation thing.

Frankly, I find that a bit unsettling at times; I was trying to set up a Twitter feed for my department's use later this year --- and to my surprise, within 5 minutes of registering, I had friends following me because my name (not email) was in their contact lists elsewhere.  The lesson?  If you want to reserve a Twitter account for future use and keep it stealthy as part of a larger PR rollout, don't use your real name or email addy when registering.  You can always change it later when you launch.  :)

-rick