[Air-L] Permission to reproduce webpages?

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 11:05:37 PDT 2010

Hi Andre,

It's probably clear to you how it falls within fair use, but it might be
worthwhile to do a bit more work to help the journal editorial staff
understand that this is actually fair use, if you haven't already.  It seems
to me that if the screenshot is part of the analysis, it's worth arguing a
bit more about it with the journal, rather than accepting their
assessment--which may be based on misinformation or confusion about
copyright or fear about claims of copyright violation.

There's a widely used form at Columbia that might help demonstrate how the
use of the screenshot falls within fair use.
http://copyright.columbia.edu/copyright/fair-use/fair-use-checklist/

There's also an online fair use evaluation tool that provides you an
archival copy of the results of your fair use analysis.  This can be useful
for your own and the journal's purposes.
http://www.librarycopyright.net/fairuse/index.php

Good luck,

annette

Annette N. Markham, Ph.D.
Senior Research Fellow, Internet Research Ethics
  Center for Information Policy Research
  University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amarkham at gmail.com
http://www.cipr.uwm.edu/
http://markham.internetinquiry.org/

Co-Editor, International Journal of Internet Research Ethics
http://www.ijire.net