[Air-L] Virtual worlds as not just a new medium

CarrieLynn D. Reinhard carrie at ruc.dk
Sun Sep 19 01:20:27 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I am hoping you could give me some ideas about where to find citations to
finish a book chapter.

A reviewer said of my book chapter, in which I am arguing for how study
users' reception of virtual worlds, the following:

"as you well know many scholars oppose this view of VWs as just another
medium. our chapter might benefit from looking at those scholars that defend VWs
are more than just a new medium." Apparently I do not well know this because I
do not know exactly who to cite.

Who are the scholars who are opposing this view that VWs is just another
medium? Specifically, I was arguing that we cannot treat virtual worlds as
wholly unique experiences of reception because it is a "new medium".  Are there
others out there saying the same thing, only I have horrendously overlooked
them?
 CarrieLynn D. Reinhard, PhD
Virtual Worlds Research Group
http://worlds.ruc.dk/
Roskilde University
Department of Communication, Business, and Information Technologies
Building 43.3
Kommunikationsvej 1
DK-4000 Roskilde
mbl: + 2280 5128

"If we understand that everyone is connected to everyone else in some way or
another, it makes it hard to hurt any single one person, for who knows if we
might unwittingly hurt someone we love." - CDR 9/20/02