[Air-L] A survey regarding computer/video game play

Albert Brady Curlew curlewab at yorku.ca
Mon Sep 20 13:24:13 PDT 2010

Jove,

Can we get any more information about your research team's goals or aims for
this survey outside of "We are interested in learning how and why you play
games"? Is this part of a larger project? What is the main purpose going to be
for the data collected?

I'm inquiring because, although I believe the order of survey pages is randomly
generated, the first question I received upon opening the survey asked if "I
enjoy looking at sexy characters in games."

This was off-putting, especially given the constraints of only being able to
agree or disagree with such a statement. I'd like to know more about the
purpose of the data before contributing to the project.

Also, later questions ask for self-identification of gender, ethnicity and
annual salary.  It may be wise to disclose early on that you are collecting
information on "who" is playing games (or more accurately, who is answering the
survey questions) along with the "how" and "why".

As someone who researches digital games and the culture that surrounds them, I
wish you all the best in your work, but would like to know a little more about
it before completing the survey, as I'm sure some others here would as well.

all the best,

brady

--
Albert Brady Curlew, Ph.D Candidate
Joint Graduate Programme in Communication & Culture