[Air-L] Where the term "social media" comes from?

David Golumbia dgolumbia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 07:33:30 PDT 2010

i'm not seeing the christian right uses of the actual phrase "social media"
in google scholar, nor any references prior to 2004 that appear genuine.
there is a reference to *The Social Media Marketing Book* from 2000, but
just thanks to excellent gscholar metatdata--that book was actually
published in 2009.

gnews "social media" search from 1990-present showing no uses prior to 2004:
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?as_user_ldate=1990&as_user_hdate=2010&q=%22social+media%22&scoring=a&q=%22social+media%22&lnav=od&btnG=Go

gcholar exact phrase "social media" search 1900-2000, with 7000 hits but
none of them as far as i can tell actually including the phrase "social
media" unless there is wonky metadata that has miscategorized the book:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_q=&num=100&btnG=Search+Scholar&as_epq=social+media&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_occt=any&as_sauthors=&as_publication=&as_ylo=1900&as_yhi=2000&as_sdt=1.&as_sdtp=on&as_sdts=33&hl=en

can you give links to some of the earlier references?