[Air-L] Researchers in the privacy field

Tracy Ann Kosa TracyAnn.Kosa at uoit.ca
Tue Sep 28 07:52:11 PDT 2010

Hi Emily,

I'm a Computer Science doctoral student at UOIT working in privacy.  I spent most of the first year of my program flipping back and forth from CS research in privacy to legal / humanities research in privacy.  Not only does this lead to disparate literature reviews, but it makes for awkward writing.

I created the following categories:

1. privacy onotologies, including frameworks etc... like those proposed by Solove, but also those proposed by Logrippo
2. applied privacy solutions, including P3P research etc... like those proposed by Cranor, but also those proposed by Tang
3. theories of privacy, including HCI research etc.. like those impacted by Nussbaum, but also Friedman

#1 is an even split between disciplines, while #2 is largely computer scientists and engineers, and #3 is largely social scientists / philosophers / political scientists with the occasionally computer ethicist thrown in the mix.