[Air-L] essay "internet & culture"?

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 03:23:39 PDT 2011

Depends, of course, on what you mean by "culture".  If you mean "culture"
largely within the boundaries of a given cultural domain - including
"everyday life" primarily in the Western world - then two things come to
mind:

Examining the Internet in Everyday Life - by Wellman, et al - and handily
located online:
<http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/euricom/Examinig-Euric
om.htm>

I'd also recommend Maria Bakardjieva's "The Internet in Everyday Life:
Exploring the Tenets and Contributions of Diverse Approaches," in M.
Consalvo and C. Ess (eds.), _The Blackwell Handbook of Internet Studies_,
59-82.  (Wiley-Blackwell, 2011).  This chapter, as the subtitle suggests,
attends to diverse methodological ways of attempting to understand Internet
impacts and implications precisely as infusing our everyday lives in
multiple ways - but it thereby also sheds very useful light on the
historical development I think you're asking about.

Hope that helps - and g'luck -
cheers,
- charles ess
Institut for Informations- og Medievidenskab
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Århus N.
Denmark
mail: <imvce at hum.au.dk>
tel: (+45) 8942 9250

Professor, Philosophy and Religion
Drury University, Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23