[Air-L] the return of surveyfail

Katie Morrissey morriss9 at uwm.edu
Thu Apr 21 15:54:05 PDT 2011

Thought some folks on the list might find this update interesting.

Remember "surveyfail" back in 2009? When those two former Boston University students attempted to do a survey of various LiveJournal fanfiction/fandom groups using highly dubious methods and managed to anger whole legions of the internet in the process? They had a book deal at the time (which the research was for) and apparently it's now available for pre-ordering:

A Billion Wicked Thoughts: What the World's Largest Experiment Reveals about Human Desire
by: Ogi Ogas and Sai Gaddam
http://www.amazon.com/Billion-Wicked-Thoughts-Largest-Experiment/dp/0525952098/?ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303322518&sr=8-1&tag=gmgamzn-20

Given the tags the book is being given on Amazon, I'm assuming word of this must be circulating somewhere online. Has anyone here seen any discussion of it? I've been working on a project that discuses surveyfail and I'd like to follow the conversation if I can.

Thanks!

Katie Morrissey
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
morriss9 at uwm.edu