[Air-L] yet another shameless book announcement ...

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 02:52:57 PDT 2011

Dear AoIR-ists,

On behalf of my co-editor and our contributing authors, I'm very pleased to
announce the recent publication of

_Trust and Virtual Worlds: Contemporary Perspectives_
co-edited by Charles Ess and May Thorseth,
as part of the Digital Formations series, edited by Steve Jones - Peter
Lang.
- and reasonably priced @ $29.95 ...

>From the back cover:

Trust is essential to human society and the good life. At the same time,
citizens of developed countries spend more and more time in virtual
environments. This collection asks: How far do virtual environments,
especially those affiliated with Web 2.0, challenge and foster trust?
Opening chapters establish historical, linguistic, and philosophical
foundations for key concepts of trust, embodiment, virtuality, and virtual
worlds. Four philosophers then analyze how trust‹historically interwoven
with embodied co-presence‹may be enhanced through online environments. Final
chapters tackle the specific challenges of virtual child pornography and
democratic deliberation online.
This is the first collection devoted exclusively to the philosophical
dimensions of trust and virtual worlds. In doing so it helps to bring the
reader up to date on the relevant concepts and issues, and on ways in which
widely ranging insights and approaches may nonetheless cohere into a
reasonably comprehensive account of trust.

Those interested in more details can easily track down the table of contents
and sample pages at amazon.com.

enjoy!
- charles ess
Institut for Informations- og Medievidenskab
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Århus N.
Denmark
mail: <imvce at hum.au.dk>
tel: (+45) 8942 9250

Professor, Philosophy and Religion
Drury University, Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23